O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. (Psalm 71:17-18)
Faith is often formed in our younger years, while children, or as youth. The Psalmist looks back on his youth, and how he learned about God. The long-term view is that those who learn about God in their youth will follow him even to old age, proclaiming the deeds of the Lord to another generation.
Think of all the youth who have grown up before our eyes at Lake Baldwin Church! What a joy it is, to come alongside the families in our church, and to provide an environment where students can grow in Christ, make friends, and be mentored by the generation ahead of them! Today, let's pray for our youth.
- Thank God for Fritz and Barbie Schalmo, as Fritz gives leadership to our youth ministry. Pray for the safe and healthy delivery of their baby next month.
- Thank God for Scott and Lindsay Buono, who invest in the lives of our youth each Sunday night, and who reach out to our youth throughout he week. Pray for them as they serve.
- Thank God for Rachel Glodo and Christina Nesbitt, who have served as volunteers. Pray for Rachel as she moves on to graduate school in Chicago, and for Christina as she prepares for marriage.
- Pray for all the youth who have graduated from our LBC youth group. Pray that they would flourish in college.
- Pray for younger youth who are making the transition from SPLASH, that they would feel connected and be able to take advantage of new growth opportunities.
- Our youth are scattered among high schools around the city. Pray for them as they start school this fall. Pray for strong faith, lived out in the real world.
- God has used our students to reach out to friends, some of whom attend our youth group. Pray for the continued outreach of the youth at LBC, among their friends. Pray that parents and families will be touched by the gospel as a result.
- Pray specifically for the spiritual opportunities at Glenridge Middle School.
- Adult volunteers can have a powerful impact on teenagers. Pray that God will raise up more adult volunteers to work with our youth.
- Pray in advance for the weekly work of youth group, small groups, and personal contact with teenagers this fall. Pray especially for Fritz as he meets students on their turf, seeking to encourage them and minister to them.
- Finally, pray for each of the youth and families, that their hearts will always be stirred by a love for Jesus and the desire to follow him.