He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory. (1 Timothy 3:16)
"God's Larger Story"
The Bible opens our eyes to God’s larger story, and his plan for the nations. Our Scripture verse for today reminds us of the life of Jesus: his incarnation, his resurrection, his ascension, and his exaltation. This gospel story would be “preached among the nations” and Jesus would be “believed on in the world.” Our lives in Orlando might feel small, and we might even feel helpless in a chaotic world. But our story has a meaningful place in God’s plan.
How does our story, individually and as a church, fit into God’s larger story for the nations?
- With Christians around the world, we share the mission that Jesus gave to his disciples: “Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations…” (Matthew 28:19)
- The world has grown smaller, and we are in a new world of missions. We can be global citizens, connected to the world with transportation, technology, and even the global language of English. Think of how short-term missionaries from LBC have been able to make a difference as we partner with churches and organizations around the world.
- God has blessed Lake Baldwin Church with a remarkably high number of people who are connected globally.
- A world in crisis is seeing Christians go to the front lines of social justice, aiding the needy and advancing the gospel.
This week, as a church uniting in prayer, let us offer up fervent prayers for a broken world, and for the people among us who stand ready to “proclaim him among the nations.”
How to pray...
- Pray that the good news of Jesus would shape our vision for a world in need of the gospel.
- Thank God for the many members of our church who are engaged in global work for the advancement of the gospel. Think of one you know, and pray for that person.
- Thank God for our Global Missions Team: Ravi Jain, TJ Sellers, Andrew Balducci, Sarah Madsen, Matt Watts, and Bart Johnson. Pray for them as they serve the church and refine their vision and plans for the coming years.
- Pray for a world in crisis: global terrorism, untold numbers of refugee families, human trafficking, and corruption.
For the Family
There are many ways that people learn about God but often the time and voice of another person is very powerful in our understanding who God is and what he did to show his love for us.
Sometimes we take it for granted that we are surrounded by people who can help us grow in our understanding and relationship with God and so it is hard to comprehend that there are people in the world that haven’t had this same privilege.
- Share with each other how each of you first heard and learned about Jesus.
- Talk as a family about what it means to be a missionary. What are missions trips?
- Do you know someone that has gone on a missions trip recently? Would it be possible as a family to connect with this person so they can share with you about their trip and for your kids to ask questions about it?
"God's Larger Story" - Mike Tilley
Mike Tilley is the senior pastor of Lake Baldwin Church, and has lived in Orlando since 1994. He and his wife, Molly, worked with a core group from the Baldwin Park community to plant Lake Baldwin Church in 2006. Mike loves teaching the Bible in a way that relates to real life. In his spare time, Mike enjoys good movies, long dinner with friends, snow skiing, hanging out with his kids and two granddaughters, and travel.
"For the Family" - Michelle Crouse
Michelle Crouse has served as the director of LBC's children's ministry—SPLASH Kids—since the end of 2011. She and her husband Joshua were married in 2002 and have 2 children. Michelle grew up outside of Boston and graduated from James Madison University in Virginia with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. She loves being with kids and loves the opportunity to be a part of teaching children how much they are loved by God, and helping them grow in their understanding of what that means.