One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. (Psalm 145:4)
The Bible has a beautiful balance. The older generation is valued for its wisdom and life experience. The younger generation is valued as those to whom the torch will be passed. Think of Proverbs, the words of a father to a son. Think of our current study of 2 Timothy, the words of Paul to young Timothy. The common theme is a majestic, covenant-keeping God, who loves his people and acts on their behalf.
This vision was expressed in the early days of Lake Baldwin Church, when one of our younger generation folks spoke of creating "avenues for inter-generational connecting." Our hope is that people in every stage of life, single and married, older and younger, will see themselves in the picture!
As for prayer, the Lord Jesus set the example in praying for future generations, in John 17:20--"I do not ask for these (the disciples) only, but also for those (including you and me) who will believe in me through their word."
- Pray for those who are "single again" due to a painful divorce or the loss of a spouse. Pray that they would experience their immense value to our church body.
- Pray for high school graduates, discovering God's purpose for their lives.
- Pray for the treasured folks among us who are over 60, that we would gain from their wisdom.
- Pray for singles in their 20s who will check out LBC this fall. At first, they will see LBC as a "family church" and wonder if they belong, or if they will have the social life they seek. Pray for a growing group that will create new space for young singles. Bonus: pray a bold prayer for college ministry partnerships.
- Pray for parents in their 30s, 40s, and 50s who are in the throes of parenting and professional challenges.
- Thank God for the small groups where young adults are finding community. Pray that these groups will flourish and grow.
- Of course, remember our SPLASH kids and youth. We'll pray for them again this month.