If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on the things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. (Colossians 3:1-4)
It's Monday, and we begin a fresh week in our prayer journey! One of the benefits of extended
time in prayer is that we get to focus our minds and affections on Christ. But there are many distractions! Christians can be accused of being "too heavenly minded and no earthly good." This passage tells us something better. We must be heavenly minded before we can be any earthly good! So press on, even if distracted. Even if the richness of our life with Christ seems hidden for now. We walk and pray by faith now, with the hope that one day he will appear, and we will appear with him. For these moments, let's ask God to renew our hearts for the days of prayer ahead.
- What are the "things on earth" that might be distracting you? If anxieties, cast them on God, for he cares. If sins, acknowledge them to God and turn to Christ for his perfect forgiveness.
- Pray that this month of prayer, even the next few days, will be a time of growing intimacy with Christ. Invite the Spirit to work in your heart, to open your eyes to the things of Christ revealed in Scripture.
- Pray for gospel renewal and spiritual revival in our church, and in our city. Be willing to pray, "Lord, begin with me."
- Someone has defined revival as "a new beginning of obedience to God." Christ is seated at the right hand of God, ruling even now in his church and in our hearts. Invite him to be your King today.
- Pray now for the 50+ people at LBC who are joining you in prayer. Pray for their intimacy with Christ and renewal in him.